New Benefits for Riverside County Veterans Take Effect on Veterans Day
RIVERSIDE – Veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces and the National Guard and federal and state reservists living in Riverside County will have their service honored with free admission into the Date Festival and Edward-Dean Museum and numerous benefits that go into effect on Veterans Day, Monday, Nov. 11.
The benefits were approved by the Board of Supervisors as part of the VALOR (Veterans Assistance Leadership of Riverside County) program to make Riverside County one of the most veteran-friendly counties in the country.
“We are proud to make county venues easily accessible to veterans who live in Riverside County and its 28 cities to thank them for serving our country,” said Supervisor John J. Benoit. “It is a meaningful way to honor the veterans to whom we owe our way of life.”
The benefits are:
• Free entry, once per year, for a veteran and three additional guests to the annual Riverside County Fair & National Date Festival in Indio;
• Free entry, once per year, for a veteran and three additional guests to the Edward-Dean Museum & Gardens in Cherry Valley;
• Free entry, once per year, for a veteran and three additional guests to The Cove Water Park in Jurupa Valley;
• Free boat launches on Memorial Day and Veterans Day for veteran-owned watercraft at Lake Skinner in Winchester and Mayflower Park in Blythe;
• Free parking for veterans visiting county offices in county-owned lots and parking structures;
• Free day-use admission to Riverside County parks for disabled veterans on an unlimited basis. A list of eligible parks can be found at www.rivcoparks.org;
• Free use of county facilities for military service organizations promoting patriotic military events and services for veterans and their families.
To qualify for free admission to the above facilities, veterans will need to present valid proof of military service and residence in Riverside County.
Acceptable military identification can include a Military Identification Card, DD 214, NGB Form 22 or honorable discharge certificate. Veterans Military Service Organization Membership cards, with photo ID, are also authorized for use as proof of military service.
Acceptable proof of residence can include a California driver’s license, California ID card or current utility or tax bill.
In addition, Riverside County is encouraging businesses to voluntarily offer discounts to veterans on special holidays or year-round. A printable poster that businesses can place in their window is available at http://countyofriverside.us.